Let's cut right to the chase: If someone handed a world-class marketing and lead-generation plan to 100 MSPs (managed services providers), roughly 95 of those MSPs could not execute the plan. In most cases, the outcome would be hit-and-miss marketing, a few qualified sales leads and little (if any) new customers in the pipeline.
Why is that? Is there something inherently wrong with the MSP business model? Absolutely not. The problem is easily explained. And yes, there's even a fix.
When it comes to marketing and lead generation, the MSP challenge comes down to time and budget. Most MSPs already have their hands full maintaining existing customer relationships. Generally speaking, new customer engagements involve word of mouth rather than a true plan of attack. Customers only call MSPs when they have a problem.
Well-meaning MSPs think they know how to change that reality. They attend marketing and sales seminars. They take notes. They study playbooks. But educational seminars and how-to guides still don’t address two core MSP challenges: 1. MSPs don't have dedicated marketing teams to execute advertising and lead generation campaigns. 2. Executives at those MSPs don't have time to handle such tasks on their own.
So what's the solution? We've solved that riddle here at Continuum Managed Services. Most MSPs already know about our technical solutions -- which span remote monitoring and management (RMM), network operations center (NOC), and backup and disaster recovery (BDR) services for MSPs.
But take a closer look and you'll find that we've studied the marketing and sales quandary for MSPs. And we've got a solution called Marketing Advantage.
Here's what it involves:
1. Our Expertise: We've hired the right talent to empower MSPs with real marketing, lead generation and sales solutions. Our VP of channel marketing and community development, Mark Zahar, has more than 10 years experience in database marketing and integrated marketing communications. We're unleashing Zahar’s expertise across our partner network, empowering MSPs with knowledge and a range of custom-built tools for MSPs.
2. Our R&D Investments: We're backed by Summit Partners, a leading growth equity firm. That financial backing allowed us to develop a turn-key, end-to-end marketing solution for our MSPs. It’s one system – built and managed by us – to empower you.
3. Our execution: MSPs that work with us know Continuum delivers software updates and service enhancements like clockwork. Now, we're applying that same business discipline to help our MSPs with marketing. Best of all: Continuum handles all the business processes, ensuring that we develop qualified sales leads for your organization.
We didn't develop this solution in a vacuum. Instead, we surveyed our MSP base to pinpoint their marketing needs. The result is a highly systematic process that requires minimal time and resources from the MSP. Moreover, everything is customizable -- all the way to the MSP's brand identity.
So what exactly do MSPs gain from Continuum's Marketing Advantage program? They get a turn-key end-to-end inbound and outbound marketing program designed to help MSPs build, grow and nurture business relationships through marketing best practices, supporting content and a comprehensive sales and marketing automation platform. A few highlights include:
- 100 pre-qualified SMB leads
- An email marketing platform with pre-loaded templates that can carry your logo and branding
- Customized marketing content that spans landing pages, white papers, blog postings, email and ebooks
- Social media automation
- Detailed reports that track your marketing campaign performance; and plenty more
The Bottom Line
Most customers don’t engage an MSP unless there has been a painful business event. Instead of waiting for random inbound calls, it’s time for MSPs to enjoy world-class marketing that ultimately generates sales. In other words: Let’s shift the conversation from MSPs selling to customers buying. Continuum’s MSP base has started that journey. If you’d like to join in, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly. Or visit www.continuum.net/marketingadvantage.
Steve Ricketts is VP of marketing, Continuum, which provides an end-to-end intelligent remote monitoring and management solution, 24 x 7 Service Desk, and business continuity platform offering – all integrated with a 24/7 Network Operations Center (NOC) that enables MSPs to profitably backup, monitor, troubleshoot and maintain IT environments. Monthly guest blogs such as this one are part of MSPmentor's annual platinum sponsorship.