As a channel-only company, working with our MSP partners is a cornerstone at Datto. Ensuring our partners are set up for success is part of every decision we make.
We’ve picked our partners’ brains when it comes to everything Backup and Disaster Recovery, or BDR. To say we have received some incredible data would be a major understatement. Recently, we decided to turn to our partners to learn more about them. We surveyed over 1,200 of our partners to gain more insight into their lifestyle habits, business trends and more. Our 2017 State of the MSP Report provides a unique profile of IT service providers in addition to some useful resources to alleviate some of their common pain points. Here’s a quick look at some of our favorite tidbits from the report.
The Business Side
- MSPs specialize for verticals: The majority of MSPs focus on recruiting from a specific industry or industries. Some of the most popular verticals include Professional Services, Manufacturing and Healthcare.
- MSPs face common pain points: According to our research, we found the top pain points included Marketing/Sales, Selling BDR, Staffing/Recruiting and Growing Pains.
- Our partners are great at their jobs: We found that most of our MSPs are reaping more than $5 million in annual revenue, and they are serving a client base of over 100.
On to the Fun Stuff
We aren’t solely concerned with the business side of our partners’ lives. We want to know more about what they enjoy and what equates to a typical day for them.
- How do MSPs get to work? We found that 89% drive to work, 6% work from home, 4% take public transportation, and 1% bike to work.
- The age old question: "Star Wars" or "Star Trek"? While there’s nothing wrong with being a fan of both the Jedi and the Vulcan, we wanted to know which our partners preferred. Sixty-six percent said they preferred "Star Wars." Honorable mentions include "Firefly," "Babylon 5" and "Battlestar Galactica."
- Football reigns supreme: While baseball may be America’s pastime, it looks like most of our partners prefer football. The majority at 78% prefer the gridiron compared to 44% for baseball and 37% for hockey.
Hopefully, you enjoyed learning more about MSPs and the Datto community, but there’s plenty more where that came from. We have more information about our partners’ social media consumption, where they get their news, a bit about demographics, and helpful tips to address their common pain points. If you’re interested in learning more, head over to our website to download the report and gain a wealth of knowledge.
Pete Rawlinson is Chief Marketing Officer, Datto.
Guest blogs such as this one are published monthly and are part of MSPmentor's annual platinum sponsorship.